Time: Usually once or twice a week for 2 to 3 hours. (Monday-Friday 9 AM-5 PM)
Description: Provide companionship and non-medical services so individuals can remain independent in their homes. Respite for primary caregivers also provided.
• Companionship may include reading, listening, talking, being in contact with the client’s family, playing games, etc.
• Some transportation may be involved including accompanying the client to and from appointments, shopping for groceries, picking up prescriptions, etc.
• Light housekeeping may include vacuuming, dusting, laundry, ironing, making beds, organizing clothes and closets, etc.
• Spiritual support may include prayer, scripture reading, etc.
Preferences: Volunteers who have the following characteristics are preferred:
• Do not mind working alone/independently.
• Have the desire to work with the elderly, often physically or cognitively challenged.
• Dedicated to regular weekly commitments to their client or clients.