The Global Environment Committee
The Global Environment Committee, a subcommittee of Justice
and Peace, focuses on environmental issues involving clean water and air,
recycling, and land use/conservation - promoting and petitioning for earth-friendly
practices and legislation - and working to raise eco-awareness within the
community and beyond. We understand the intimate connection between the health
of our environment and the health of our Dear Neighbor, realizing that the poor
are the first and most seriously affected by environmental degradation.
GEC Go Green Efforts!
Here are some of the issues the committee is currently addressing:
- Researching possibility of solar panels on Motherhouse
- Looking into Green Burial options
- Supporting Seneca White Deer, Inc. management of Seneca Army Depot property
- Maintaining recycling programs within the Motherhouse
- Promoting reusables at Motherhouse, e.g. cloth napkins, washable dining/drinking utensils, etc.
- Keeping the community updated on environmental issues through our website and newsletter
- Watching for ways to make our voices heard on environmental issues and pending legislation at the local, State and Federal levels
- Promoting labeling of foods containing GMOs
What YOU can do!
Recycle paper, plastic, cans/bottles
- Take your own, reusable bags shopping - DON'T USE PLASTIC BAGS!
- Take your own cloth napkin to meals
- Take quick showers - turn water off when soaping up
- Ride-share or use public transportation when possible
Keep informed on environmental issues and legislation
- Share what you know and your concerns with others
- Add a prayer for the Earth to your prayer intentions every day